Thursday 19 September 2013

Home away from home...

Ages ago, my mother made a wall hanging which said, "Home is where the heart is". My father was in the Air Force and we moved every 3-4 years to a new place. New cities, new homes, new neighbours, new friends, new experiences. What fun! As soon as we settled in and unpacked, this wall hanging would get pride of place on mom's favourite wall! Amidst all the hustle-bustle and new-ness, this would somehow be the continuity in my life. I remember embracing each place with so much joy and still carry happy memories of most cities I have lived in and most people I have lived with. Getting steeped in local culture while maintaining your individuality is 1 big lesson moving taught me and has held me in good stead.

When you move to new places often, there is no chance you will grow up with a closed mind. You learn to adapt and adjust and broaden your vision. You learn to accept, to grow a little more, to be patient with a new school/new system/new culture, to be sensitive, to not take random things too personally and basically find your own space under the sun wherever you go.  

I loved moving then and I love moving now. The whole experience of going anywhere and making a "home" is for me very satisfying. Looking for the right apartment which meets with the approval of each of us (and trust me our approval is not easy to get!), moving all your stuff into the right corners, adding new stuff to your already overcrowded "new" home, joining a new workplace, getting to know the neighbourhood market, organizing School for the little one and the most enriching experience for me-meeting people! Over the years I have realised that even though the place matters, its the people who make up your experience/impression about any place. The warm nature of Indians everywhere makes you feel at home in any corner of the country and you start feeling the "Oneness of self and environment" (a beautiful Buddhist concept) immediately. The rich diversity in our country ensures there's never a dull moment when you move...there's so much to see, discover, like, love and embrace!

I have a lot of respect for people who put down their roots in one place and are content with their lives unfolding around them, but there is something to be said about moving periodically and experiencing life in different places and paces. I know for a fact that its a different high when you discover exotic places on your business/holiday travel, but staying in a new place till it becomes old and comfortable...sigh!

Will I willingly stop being a gypsy? Never! Can I try my hand at leading a more settled life? Maybe. Will I always embrace the next move, however difficult or badly timed it is? Most definitely Yes!!

3 comments:

  1. My fellow traveller....love this post darling. So much my story. Dil khush kitta....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally relate to this, I've been moving and moving all my life, and I love it!!

    ReplyDelete