Monday 1 July 2013

Daddy's Pet

My earliest memory of my Dad is this strapping young man in uniform, kissing my Mom & me goodbye before going to save the country from it's enemies! Try as I might to replace this image, it just stays put.

Along came my sister and my fear of my Dad's love getting "divided" was proved baseless as he showed his true mettle and just kept on expanding his love for us. So many friends, cousins, relatives, even grandparents...all basked in the sunshine of his love & affection. Unreasonable husband-yes, non-ass licking employee-yes, devoted friend-yes, doting father-100% yes!

Seeing my Dad going through life taught me so many lessons...about doing your work sincerely, always trying to be on time, listening to others, standing up for what's right, helping others from your limited resources, treating man-woman-child equally, living & letting live, most of all being the wind beneath the wings of his children! I treasure each and every value that I learnt from him and hope to carry his legacy forward.

When my Dad fell sick, my world came crashing down. It brought me to my knees and made me doubt my faith. But knowing that he needed his family to be strong, that he needed me was enough to restore my strength. I became stronger than I could have ever imagined, for my Dad, for my Mom and for my Sister. He taught me that! I just followed. I remembered all the times he had been there for the family and how we all leaned on him, and that gave me immense strength.

He's on his path to a slow and sometimes painful recovery. He's not very strong and tends to indulge in self-pity. He forgets to take his medicines and makes my Mom climb walls! He's child-like & sagely, he's difficult & understanding, he's hero & villain, he's praising & complaining, he's fiercely independent & totally dependent- all at the same time! But, beneath it all he's the first man I ever loved with all my heart.

Can I ever imagine a time without him ? Never! Can I try and understand that this is the circle of life? Maybe. Can I now be the rock for him that he always has been for me? Most definitely yes!!

I see the doting look in my daughter's eyes when she looks at her Dad, I see her sharing things with him before me, I hear her answering "I love my dad more than my mom" unabashedly, and instead of feeling sad for myself I see the legacy I have passed on! 

My first blog ever-This one's for you Papa. I Love You!  

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful Swati.....I am so glad you led me to it and I did not have to wait another day for you to figure how to send me the link. Here's to all us daddy's girls and here's to more from your keyboard!! Love, loads of it....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Swati this is so touching...I remember how fondly you always talk about yr dad..he'll be fine soon...keep the faith..xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, Swati! Immensly touching :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Girls...really Muthu at the end of the day, we are all Daddy's girls :-)

    ReplyDelete